Oct 23, 2007

Naming Conventions

I'm changing the project name. The name WindowMaker will be held by original project. It's possible that original development team will wake up at some day and produce something. I doubt that they will, but it's possible anyway. Since I'm practically forking original project, it's good idea to change the name. NextMaker seems like a good name for my project. I thought it out in times of first attempt to fork, and I think, I'll keep it now.

Now, to the style. I don't like pascalish names used everywhere in WindowMaker. I'll make them all lowercase and with underscore as word separator. The shorter name is better the longer one. Prefix change reflects change in project name. Now all function names will start with «nm» instead of «WM». Prefixes and suffixes of names will have some meanings: «nm_» stands for ordinary exported functions, «nmi_» is for internal functions, which is usually inlined, «nmt_» is for type-tags in object system and so on. For example WMReleaseObject function will become nm_release after change, and WMString will be nmt_string.

I won't do that all at once. Changes will be made only in parts of code I'm touching. There's also some plans on changing file layout and structure of API, but those are things I'll think about a little bit later.

2 comments:

Alex Ott said...

Long live NextStep! ;-)

Unknown said...

Hmm! Kepp the work on, I hope to be able to change to Your windowmanager soon!

But I must disagree with this step, as it makes programming simpler, but it is not Pascal-ish, but Nextish AFAIK. Yet it is your project, and hopefully it will be great!

I really missed a good howto on WINGs programming, and discovering it, for a completely n00b object orientated C programmer (I only used in conventional cli calculations and simulations, no gui yet.) seemed to be very uneffective. (had 2 days free, and managed to make a winow with one popup effectively... ) Oh, and a WIGS GUI editor is badly needed as well. What do you think?